I needed to exchange 1,000 USD into EURs during my trip in Paris. Exchanging cash in Paris can be very tricky as each exchange place has their own rates and can charge you additional fees and bogus taxes to your already not-so-good exchange rates.
I called around a few places and came up with the following cash exchange rates on July 2nd, 2012. (Googled exchange rate for the day was at 1 U.S. dollar = 0.790701352 Euros)
1. Change et Collection – The Best (Website Name – Yes Change) : About $949.70 EUR for $1,000.00 USD in 2017, rate: 0.9497 / (About $780.15 EUR for $1,000USD in 2012, rate 0.78015)
Visiting the exchange office, the board had a rate of 0.75 but I mentioned the online site rate and that was the rate I received.
Picture above is actual photo of the store.
2. Elysees Exchange: About $770 EUR for $1,000 USD (in 2012, rate 0.77)
3. (For reference/comparison) American Express Office $741 EUR for $1,000 USD (rate 0.7416), American Express customers, charge fees apply for amounts under $1,000.
The exchange rate was dropping so that could be the reason of the cash exchange rate being rather close to the standard rate but it was definitely a good rate.
Further Location & Contact Information:
1. Yes Change (Close to Place de la Concorde, 15 minute walk from the Louvre / Next to Garden of Tuileries), Metro Station : Concorde
CHANGE ET COLLECTION
CHANGE – OR – ARGENT
RCS PARIS B 380 298 125 – APE 671 E
1, rue Rouget de Lisle
2. Elysées Change 84 (near Arc de Triomphe, )
75008 Paris, France
01 45 61 13 97
11, rue Scribe
75009 Paris – France
Tel : + 33 (0) 1 53 30 99 00
Fax : + 33 (0) 1 53 30 98 78
[Update] Never use the currency exchange booth in front of the Tuileries Metro Station. I asked for their rate and was told 0.75 but when attempted to exchange $100 USD to Euros, I was given $65 plus change Euros instead of $75. The $10 euros were added as an exchange fee. I quickly refused the exchange by writing “refused” and signing on the receipt and quickly headed over to the Yes Change office and asked for the Internet exchange rate. I received $80 Euros plus change on the spot. A $15 Euro difference! Save your money by walking 3-5 minutes from Tuileries Station to Yes Change and you will not regret it!